Raking leaves could seem to be a easy out of doors chore, however can lead to pointless aches and pains. Raking can place a big pressure in your mid and low again constructions, and might trigger strained muscular tissues, twisted knees, and even herniated discs. By correctly warming up your muscular tissues and being aware of fine physique mechanics, many accidents will be prevented.
- Earlier than starting, take a 5-10 minute stroll to stimulate circulation. This helps guarantee your muscular tissues have a great provide of oxygen, raises your physique temperature to permit most flexibility, and minimizes stress in your coronary heart.
- Earlier than selecting up the rake, do some stretching workout routines to heat up muscular tissues. After you’re completed, observe up the exercise with additional stretching.
- Attempt to keep in an upright posture whereas raking – keep away from repetitive bending and twisting exercise, which each put pointless pressure on muscular tissues and joints.
- Bend at your knees, not your waist, when selecting up piles of leaves.
- Be certain to alternate hand positions to guarantee that you’re not over-working one facet.
- Drink loads of water earlier than, throughout, and after raking.
- Take periodic breaks. rule of thumb is 10-15 minutes for every hour of strenuous exercise. When you have a big space to rake, plan to cut up the duty over a number of days.
- Use ergonomic instruments which might be engineered to encourage correct physique mechanics.
Click here in your printable yard work suggestions sheet!
If actions equivalent to raking deliver on ache, our bodily therapists may also help you determine methods to proceed carry out the exercise with much less ache. This could contain easy adjustments in your type or some remedy classes to handle underlying points, permitting us to lower your ache and enhance muscle energy and adaptability. Name your nearest ACCESS PT location to get began!